I have been in full time post for just over a year now working under the guise of Cambridgeshire County Golf Development Officer (CDO) and previously working in Bedfordshire with some shared responsibility in each county. Recently my job title has been changed to Club Support Officer (CSO), which hopefully reflects my role more effectively as a local support resource to all clubs and golf facilities in Cambridgeshire.
Along with a new job title, my contract circumstances have also changed and I am now fully employed by England Golf, rather than operating as a self-employed contractor. Because of this, I have a new e-mail address and contact number (see below) which are now operational with immediate effect.
England Golf now employs a CSO in every county and this further highlights the dedication and focus towards supporting clubs as effectively as possible. Cambridgeshire is in England Golf’s East Region, together with Kent, Suffolk, Norfolk and Essex and is headed up by England Golf Regional Manager, Steven Peet, who I’m sure many of you have met.
In line with the updated England Golf National Strategy, we are placing more emphasis on being ‘customer focused’ to primarily ‘help strengthen counties and clubs’ and ‘inspire more people to take up golf, play more often and join a club’ – these are just two of the seven strategic objectives. A hard copy of Growing the Game of Golf in England – The Strategic Plan 2017-2021, has been sent to every club and is also available on the England Golf website, so please do make yourself familiar with it and let me know your thoughts on this.
I am already working closely with many clubs on their business and individual priorities, but for those unsure of my role, here is some clarity of what services and support I can offer:
- LISTEN to a club’s needs and work with them to fully understand the business and priority areas for support
- DEVELOP a tailored action plan and offer support where appropriate
- SUPPORT clubs to help drive recruitment, retention and membership growth where needed
- UPDATE clubs on specific training and education opportunities
- CONNECT clubs with preferred England Golf partners for business to business support
- SHARE resources, best practice and national trends
- ACT as your dedicated England Golf local point of contact
- ENSURE all relevant safeguarding and child protection policies and procedures are in place
If you or your club would like help or support in these areas, or any others, please do not hesitate to get in contact with me.